Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pancake Gallery

For the last three months, well since February 25, we have hand pancakes every single Tuesday for dinner. Sound disgusting? Well, maybe it will make more sense when I tell you that we changed the day to Tommy Tuesday where he gets the say on what games we play and what food we eat. (Mainly I try to give him some special attention so that the new baby, Jonathan, doesn't inadvertently hog all Mom's attention). It's been working well I think.

Still wondering why Tommy is so attached to pancakes on Tuesday? I mean, the fact that he chooses may be explanation enough for some. Not for us. There is actually another reason: Bowser!

Yes, Tommy requested pancakes in the SHAPE of Bowser! I laughed it off the first time he asked. He kept asking...and I thought to myself, I'm an artist, surely there is some way. But how would I "paint" the pancake batter onto the frying pan? Someone else surely has tried this before. I googled "Pancake Art" and found some great tips!

First I tried frosting bags to squirt the batter onto the pan. That was ok. But my biggest hurdle was that I was hand-mixing the batter. Once I started mixing it with a blender, it was smooth and creamy. I also would add slightly more water until the consistency was just runny enough to be fluid.

It works!! Now I've stepped it up. I use condiment squeezy bottles that I got at a grocery store, I use extra water, I use food coloring for the different colors, temperature is at medium for best results, and I outline my shapes first so that the outlines stay nice and dark while the inside has some color. Even though I've figured all of this out, I still have duds each week. Some good some bad.

Regardless, take a look at our pancake gallery! Every week there is a Bowser blowing fire for Tommy and with the others I try to do something new. Funny though, Maggie got a heart the first week and has only ever wanted a heart. Even when I did a Carebear with a heart on its tummy, she did not want it. "I omee [only] want a heart pancake!" she whined. Ok ok. Fine. :) Enjoy!

And try it out sometime, it makes breakfast for dinner (or for breakfast) a lot of fun! Oh and by the way, I put ALL of them on--the successes and the failures...just because I thought they were fun ideas. They certainly aren't all perfect. One time I did a Leatherhead for Tommy--but he didn't like it as much as Bowser so we went back to Bowser. Notice all the changes to Bowser throughout the weeks. I started sticking to one piece of reference on Google.


































No comments: